Ever wanted to read a comic but didn't know where to start? Interested in superheroes, manga, romance, webcomics and more? Look no further! We have all the recommendations you'll ever need.

Wednesday 25 August 2010

International Read Comics in Public Day - August 28th

So, some bright folks have designated August 28th as International Read Comics in Public Day.  This can only be a good thing and will hopefully help dispel the myth of comic readers being something like comic book guy from The Simpsons.  Hopefully all of you reading this site already know this myth is a myth, but I think there's a lot of people who don't.

So in conjunction with this, a lovely lady with a tumblr entitled DC Women Kicking Ass is asking women to read comics in public on Saturday August 28th, take a photo of themselves, and then email it to her so she can create a tumblr showing who the female comic readership is.

So, my challenge to you is, if you're female and have picked up a book recommended on this blog, or picked up a comic found elsewhere, and if you have enjoyed it, take it out in public on Saturday.  Read it and send in a photo of yourself.  It doesn't matter if it's a superhero book, a kids book, a romance, manga or something completely different.

The perception of women in comics won't change until we make ourselves heard!  We'll update you on the success of the project next week.

5 comments:

  1. This saturday? Sure! XD
    I can try having a (gal) pal reading in public :P

    Everybody reads stuff here~
    But most read European comics over the "US" comics like I do!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can read comics in public, but I can't send in a photo: I don't have a digital camera.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi there both!
    @ Eyz: anything will do, so get the pictures takan and emailed in!
    @susanreads: Thanks for the comment, shame that you can't send a photo in - unless you've got access to a phone with a camera on it? Which is what I'll be doing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is such a great idea and I hope people really rally around this! I'm not much of a going-out-in-public kind of person myself, plus there's nowhere to go here in the country. (Except the mall...blech.) I've got a doctor's appointment tomorrow so I'll bring a comic with me in the waiting room and celebrate a day early. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I read comics on the train all the time...

    ReplyDelete